Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services

WB/WT Visitors

The Visa Waiver program enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States for business (WB) or pleasure (WT) for 90 days or less without obtaining a U.S. visa.  Persons in WB or WT status are not eligible for employment in the United States.  They are also not eligible to study in the United States.  Like persons in B-1 and B-2 status, persons in WB and WT status can receive customary academic honoraria incident to a campus visit of nine days or less.  Persons in WB status may receive expense allowances or reimbursements for expenses incidental to their temporary stay.

Applicants for entry in WB or WT status must have business or tourist intent, a passport issued by a participating country, an onward or round-trip ticket (or, if entering by land, evidence of financial solvency and a home abroad to which the applicant intends to return), and not be otherwise inadmissible for entry under immigration law.  WB and WT status cannot be extended in the United States.

As of January 2009, persons intending to use WB or WT status must get a preauthorization at least three days prior to entry into the United States.  The preauthorization is through the Department of Homeland Security’s “Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).  ESTA is a free, online program.  More information on ESTA is available from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP).  

Participant Countries:

Andorra,  Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom (not including British overseas citizens).

Revised 3/2009

Texas Tech University Office of International Affairs, MS 5004, 742-2974, fax 742-1286