Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services Permanent Residents

Permanent Residents and University Employment

"Green Card," "Permanent Resident," "LPR," "Resident Alien," "Immigrant" all refer to a permanent immigration status in the United States which has unlimited employment authorization in the country along with the same tax and social security responsibilities as a citizen. Permanent residence is shown by the "green card" form I-551 or by an immigration stamp in the passport indicating processing for a form I-551. Resident status is generally based either on a family relationship with a citizen or resident of the U.S., or on employment. The University, as an employer, is usually not involved in family-based applications, but may be involved in an employment-based application for a faculty or staff member.

There are several employment-based categories each having its own qualifications and procedures for application. It is essential to consider the characteristics of the job, and the professional training and experience of the employee as well as the current availability of visas in the various categories in determining the most appropriate category for applications.

The Office of International Affairs process applications for permanent resident status under Texas Tech OP 70.38. The Office provides information to employees who are interested in applying for permanent residence based on employment and to university departments having questions concerning immigrant applications and procedures.

Employment-based applications may involve a three step process beginning with an application to the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) for a "labor certification" followed by an application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a resident visa classification and, finally, an application to USCIS for adjustment of status or to a U.S. consulate for an immigrant visa. It should be expected to take 1 to 4 years to complete a Permanent Resident application process.

The application process for permanent residence through Texas Tech begins with a Request for Employment or Visit of a Foreign National form completed by the employing unit of the University. For more information contact an International Faculty Counselor.