Getting Approval for International Travel
For all faculty, staff and students: please complete the following steps to get approval for an International Travel Application (ITA) and to prevent your ITA from being returned.
(The steps below do not apply to the faculty, staff or students going abroad through a study abroad program organized by the TTU Study Abroad Office.)
- STEP1. Those preparing ITAs (“preparers”) are encouraged to take the training offered by TTU’s Travel Office on submitting the forms online
- STEP 2. Preparer should complete and submit an ITA online at least 30 days before the departure date.
- STEP 3. In the “Explanation” block on the online ITA, , please SPECIFY in the first sentence if the traveler is:
- or a US citizen / Permanent Resident STUDENT
- or an INTERNATIONAL STUDENT (= student under a visa)
– then proceed to write the purpose of the trip
- STEP 4. Once the ITA is submitted online, please print a copy of the one page ITA and have both the traveler AND the supervisor sign the paper copy. (Please see example of a signed ITA document in the attachment below)
For Faculty/Staff only:
- STEP 5. Send only the one page paper copy of the signed ITA to Gay Riggan, Office of International Affairs, MS 5004 at least 25 days before the departure date.
- STEP 6. Upon receipt, OIA will review and process the ITA as expeditiously as possible and return the approved form to the mail stop of the preparer with information about insurance coverage while the traveler is abroad.
For Students only:
The procedures below apply to all STUDENTS TRAVELLING ABROAD for any TTU related reason (e.g., conference, research, competition, etc.), in any status (i.e., undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, supported by scholarships or assistanceships, etc.) and with any citizenship (i.e., US or international):
- STEP 5. After completing step 3 (specifying clearly under the “explanation” block that the traveler is a STUDENT and distinguishing US /permanent resident student from INTERNATIONAL student); and step 4 (having the student/traveler and the supervisor both sign the ITA), please complete ELECTRONICALLY the 2 forms below and also attached.
- Emergency Contact Information Release form: signed by the student
- Release and Indemnification Agreement form: completed by the preparer electronically, printed, and signed and NOTARIZED by the student.
For liability and insurance purposes, all students are required to complete the two forms cited above before their departure on any international travel.
Please send the three signed/notarized documents together to Gay Riggan MS 5004:
- STEP 6. Upon receipt of the above documents OIA will review and process the ITA as expeditiously as possible and return the approved form to the mail stop of the preparer. The student will receive insurance information regarding her/his international trip to the email s/he provided on the Emergency Contact Information Release form.
If you have any question, please contact Gay Riggan at GAY.RIGGAN@ttu.edu or phone: 806.742.2974 Ext. 267