Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services

F-1 Extension of Stay

An F-1 university student is admitted to the United States for “duration of status” (D/S on form I-94), but this is not an indefinite, undefined period of time, as some people mistakenly believe.  The termination date of the program is defined by the student’s form I-20.  It is usually the “completion date” given in item 5 of the I-20 form.  This is the date by which the university estimates the student will have completed the degree or program of study.  If the student will not finish by this date, the student must request an extension of stay and complete the extension process prior to the end of the current program.  In order to request an extension, the student and Academic Advisor must complete an Academic Advisor’s Recommendation for Extension of Time in F-1 Status form.  Graduate students must in addition have a recommendation form from the Graduate School.  To be eligible for extension, the student must have maintained immigration status, and the need for the extension must have been caused by compelling academic or approved medical reasons.  Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions.

The student must file the completed advisor’s form and other documents with the Office of International Affairs (OIA) and meet with an International Student Counselor.  The student must provide documentation of financial support for the period of the extension (including evidence of health, evacuation and repatriation insurance), and evidence of proper maintenance of F-1 status.  The student will receive a new form I-20 with a new estimated completion date as a result of this process.     

Timely extension of stay is the responsibility of the student.  Failure to properly complete the extension of stay as required by federal regulations will result in the student being out-of-status and may necessitate exit from the United States. 

Questions should be directed to an International Student Counselor at 742-2974