Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services

J-1 Extension of Stay: Professors & Researchers on the TTU Exchange Visitor Program

Visiting Professors and Research Scholars in J-1 status are allowed to be in the United States for up to 5 years.  The time period of a J-1 program is set in item 3 of the Form DS-2019, “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.”  The Office of International Affairs (OIA) can add more time to a program, up to the five-year limit, by issuing a new form DS-2019 with a new program end-date.  An extension of a J-1 program is normally done approximately 60 days before the program end-date shown on the current Form.

You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if:
1)  You are working toward the objective shown on your most recent Form DS-2019;
2)  You are maintaining your status as a J-1 Exchange Visitor;
3)  You can demonstrate adequate funding for the period of the proposed extension; and
4)  Your extension will not carry you beyond five years in status as a J-1 Visiting Professor or Research Scholar. Consult the Scholars Counselor at the OIA.

1) About two months before your permission to stay expires, ask your program director at Texas Tech to complete a "Request for Employment or Visit of a Foreign National" form, and
2) Document adequate funding for the period of your extension.
3) The Scholars Counselor at the Office of International Affairs will produce a new Form DS-2019 extending your program.

Extension of your permission to stay is your responsibility.  If you forget the deadline and apply late, you risk denial.  If you are employed and overlook the date, you will be working illegally.  Since such mistakes can have very serious consequences, you should make certain that you apply well in advance (at least one month is recommended), if you need to extend your stay.

Extension allows you to remain in the United States and continue working, but it does not provide a visa for re-entry into the U.S.  If your visa has expired, you must get a new J-1 visa at a U.S. consulate on your first trip outside the U.S. in order to re-enter as a J-1 scholar. Consult the Scholars Counselor at OIA before traveling outside the U.S.

Scholars on other J-1 programs must contact the Responsible Officer at their sponsoring agency and follow that agency’s rules and procedures to process an extension.  If you are not sure whom to contact, the Scholars Counselor at OIA will assist you.

Revised: 7/2007

Texas Tech University Office of International Affairs, MS 5004, 742-2974, fax 742-1286