Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services

J-2 Status for Family Members

A J-1 Exchange Visitor’s spouse and children may be eligible for J-2 status.  Other family members are not eligible for J-2 status.  Persons in J-2 status can enroll in school and are eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for employment authorization.  J-2 dependents are issued a form DS-2019 in their name.

The Office of International Affairs issues DS-2019 documents for bringing dependents of J-1's who are on the Texas Tech Exchange Visitor Program.  Exchange Visitors who wish to bring dependents must provide documentation of J-1 status, documentation of financial responsibility for themselves and their dependents, and biographical information on each dependent.  A “J-2 Dependent Information"form is available on this webpage. J-1's on other programs must consult with the Responsible Officer of their program concerning bringing dependents to the United States.

With a DS-2019 issued for entry of J-2 dependents, the family members can apply for J-2 visas at a U.S. consulate.  They must be prepared to provide financial evidence, documentation of the family relationship, and evidence of intent to return home after being in the U.S.  Approval of J-2 visa applications is not guaranteed simply by the fact that the J-1 spouse or parent is in the United States.  With the DS-2019 and J-2 visas, the family members are eligible to come to the U.S.  Upon arrival in the U.S., the family members are required to report to the Office of International Affairs with their immigration documents.  Current address information for J-2 dependents must be maintained with the Office of International Affairs just as it is for J-1 exchange visitors.

Department of State regulations require persons in J-2 status to maintain health, repatriation and evacuation insurance.

Questions should be directed to the Scholars Counselor at the OIA at 742-2974.

Revised: 7/2007

Texas Tech University Office of International Affairs, MS 5004, 742-2974, fax 742-1286