Office of International Affairs International Student & Scholar Services Non F or J Students

Students Not in F-1 or J-1 Status

Certain persons who are not in F-1 or J-1 status may enroll as students.  Nonimmigrant students who are not in F-1 or J-1 status must carefully maintain their current nonimmigrant status.  These nonimmigrants do not have employment authorization by virtue of enrolling as a student.  Without employment authorization, these students may not be able to complete some degree requirements involving practical work experience.  They are also not eligible for practical training or academic training at the completion of a degree program. 

Admitted nonimmigrant students who are enrolled full-time at Texas Tech may be eligible to change status to either an F-1 or J-1 student status.  Such students must consult an International Student Counselor at the Office of International Affairs.  Applicants for a change of status should expect it to take several months to gain approval of the change from the Department of Homeland Security.

Revised: 7/2007 

Texas Tech University Office of International Affairs, MS 5004, 742-2974, fax 742-1286